How to Remove Sun Tan
We all love dressing in the latest and trendiest fashionable clothes that make us look amazing and boost our confidence. Due to these trendy sleeveless and ankle-length dresses, there is another trouble that we forget until their clear visual effects appear on our skin. Sun tanning or the darkening of the part of the skin exposed to the sun.
Decoding Sun Tan
Sun tanning is the effect of the sun’s UV rays on our overexposed skin. Let’s understand the science behind it. Our skin cells contain melanin, a natural pigment that absorbs UV rays and acts as a protective shield for our skin. Therefore, our skin develops a natural defence mechanism against these harmful UV rays by producing excessive melanin, and with this excessive release of melanin, our skin starts appearing darker.
Nature- the key Holder
The first response to tanning is getting a bleaching session. Bleaching may help in the short term, but in the long run, it will do more harm than good by worsening your pigmentation, evoking allergic reactions, and making our skin dry due to a lack of nutrients. But worry not, since TNW—The Natural Wash has always been a strong believer in the fact that all the problems related to our skin's health can be found only in nature. So, TNW provides amazing products to remove tanning from hands and legs, like scrubs, exfoliators, creams, face packs, and many more. And all these ingredients are enriched with the goodness of natural ingredients.
Let’s first discuss the natural ingredients in their purest form and how these can help in removing tan at home:
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel contains antioxidants that are quite effective in reversing sunburn and giving the skin a natural-looking appearance. Aloe vera gel soothes our skin and makes it feel calmer without making it dry.
Aloe vera gel can be extracted directly from the fresh leaves of aloe vera. Simply apply the gel all over your tanned hands and legs, leave it for half an hour, and rinse off. For the best results, you can also try TNW’s Pure Aloe Vera Gold Gel.
Cucumber, being one of the most popular summer fruits, comes with hydrating properties that nourish the skin and possesses anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the skin and provide a calming effect. It clears toxins and tones up the skin. You can also use TNW’s Cucumber Toner to effectively help reduce the tan.
Papaya is an amazing ingredient that can help remove tan from hands and legs easily as it contains an enzyme called papain that has amazing exfoliation properties that help exfoliate the skin and remove dead skin cells, resulting in a brighter complexion.
Its application on the skin is also easy, as you just need to take a ripe papaya, scoop out the pulp, and mash it to form a smooth paste. Apply this paste to tanned hands and legs and leave it on for half an hour, then rinse it off with water to get the ultimate natural glow. You can also try TNW’s Papaya Foaming Face Wash for an excellent exfoliation session.
4. Lemon Juice
Lemon is well renowned as a natural bleaching agent due to the presence of powerful antioxidant ascorbic acid, which lightens the suntan and heals damaged skin.
You can use a mix of lemon juice and honey, apply it to the tanned skin, leave it for 15 minutes, and wash it off.
Saffron contains compounds like crocin and crocetin, which have natural skin lightening properties. The presence of antioxidants helps neutralise free radicals, which help prevent further skin darkening and promote a more even skin tone.
To use saffron for tan removal, Infuse the active ingredients of saffron into water by soaking some strands, then apply that liquid to tanned hands and legs, leave it for around 15 minutes, and wash it off to remove tan from hands and legs. Apart from tanning, saffron is also significant in treating pigmentation, improving texture, and adding a natural glow to the skin.
Sandalwood powder contains natural skin-brightening properties that lighten the skin tan and even out the complexion. Also, its anti-inflammatory property helps reduce redness and inflammation associated with sunburn and skin damage.
To use sandalwood as a tan remover, make a paste using sandalwood extract and water, apply the paste, leave it for 15 minutes, rinse off with water, and pat dry to remove tanning from legs and hands.
7. Curd and buttermilk
These are rich in lactic acid, which helps lighten tanned skin and make it softer. Also, they contain probiotics and anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe sunburnt skin and have a calming effect.
8. Potato and rice
The juices extracted after grinding them contain antioxidants and natural enzymes that lighten the skin tan and provide anti-inflammatory properties to soothe the sunburn and provide a calming effect. You can use TNW’s Rice and Potato Soap, a handmade soap to remove tan from hands and legs and soothing the sun burns effectively.
TNW’s Boon for Tan Removal
TNW, with its zeal for making skin and health care products enriched with natural ingredients, has developed some amazing products to equip you in your armour and help remove tan from hands and legs. Using these in your daily skin care routine will definitely enhance your skin’s glow and remove tanning from your legs and hands as well. Here’s a guide to help you include them in your routine.
Daily Skin Care Routine to Remove Tan
- Firstly, you need to deep cleanse your skin by using TNW’s face wash, which cleans your skin by removing dirt and impurities and unclogging the pores. For which you can use TNW’s face wash enriched with natural ingredients:
- TNW’s Multani Mitti Face Wash: Controls excess oil, removes dirt and impurities from the skin.
- TNW’s Vitamin C Exfoliating Face Wash: With antioxidant properties brightens the skin and removes impurities and dirt.
- TNW’s Green Tea Face Wash: Reduces excess number of pores and deeply purifies the skin.
- TNW’s Papaya Foaming Face Wash: Brightens the skin tone, clears the pores for that radiant glow.
- TNW’s Kumkumadi Foaming Face Wash: Brightens the skin tone, hydrates and removes the dead cells.
- TNW’s Anti Acne Face Wash: Dissolves skin’s dead cells and clear clogged pores from the skin.
- While heading outdoors, do remember to use TNW’s sun protection cream to effectively protect your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays that cause sunburn and tanning. TNW's sun protection team that comes with full protection for UV rays and moisturises the skin without making it look sticky and greasy.
- If you are staying indoors, apply TNW’s Body Brightening Serum. This serum enriched with Turmeric powder and Chamomile brightens, de-tans, exfoliates and hydrates the underarms, knees, and elbows.
2. Night care
Clean your body with TNW’s papaya and peptide foaming face wash. Dry it with a soft towel.
- Apply TNW’s Vitamin C Face Serum: It penetrates deep inside the skin, boosts moisture, helps to even out the skin-tone and repair the damaged skin cells.
- Apply the TNW Hand and Foot Cream: It deeply nourishes hand and foot and heals by forming a protective shield.
Twice a week
Always remember to exfoliate your dead skin cells at least twice a week, as it helps fade tans. Scrubbing the skin is of utmost importance. You can use physical exfoliators like scrubs or chemical exfoliators. For the best experience, you can use TNW’s Coffee and Coconut Scrub or Body Brightening Scrub
- TNW’s Coffee and Coconut Scrub: Intensely exfoliates face and body by removing dead skin cells that result in making soft, supple, and glowing skin.
- TNW’s Body Brightening Scrub: Keeps pigmentation and bacterial growth in check and detoxifies and brightens skin.
- TNW’s De- Pigmentation Tan Pack: Comprises all the natural ingredients to treat tanning, pigmentation, diminish dark spots from underarms and thighs, and other blemishes of the skin to ultimately provide a naturally glowing skin.
Your Tanning Prevention Guide
- Always wear your sunscreen whenever stepping out in the sun, like TNW’s Sun Defence SPF 50 cream and reapply every two hours.
- Refrain from going out during peak daylight hours.
- Cover your hands and legs in full sleeves with breathable fabrics.
- Eat antioxidant-rich fruits to help your skin heal itself.
- Always stay hydrated by drinking water on a regular basis.
- You can also use umbrellas or hats to cover yourself on a sunny day.
Q1: Why does the skin get tanned?
Our skin, being a natural healer, produces UV-absorbing pigments to absorb harm-causing UV rays, an excess of which results in skin tanning.
Q2: What is the main cause of tanning?
The main cause of tanning is overexposure to the sun. As the UV rays present in the sun affect the skin adversely.
Q3: Is the sun's tan permanent?
No, sun tanning is not at all permanent and can be easily removed by using some natural ingredients or tan-removing products.
Q4: Does sunscreen remove tan?
No, sunscreen just helps protect your skin from excess UV exposure, but once you have tanned your skin, sunscreen won’t be effective.
Q5: How do I remove suntan from my hands?
Using tan removal cleanser, moisturiser, or scrubs can help you remove tan from your hands. For better effects, you can check out TNW’s anti-tan products.
Q6: How do I remove the suntan from my legs?
You can remove tan from your legs by taking special care of them with scrubs and moisturisers. Use natural ingredients and apply tan removal body lotion all over the legs. For better results, check out TNW’s Avocado Moisturising Body Lotion.
Q7: Do men need different products than women for removing tan?
Tan is caused by the sun’s excess exposure to the skin, which is similar for both men and women, and therefore, no gender-specific products are to be employed.